Nampa, Idaho began as a very important railroad town in the early 1880’s. Today, it has a population of 82,000 and is located about 20 miles west of Boise. It’s one of the fastest growing cities in the state, touting a good mix of retail and recreation for area residents. Rafting, skiing and fishing are all within a short distance. The town’s Idaho Center is a big complex of entertainment venues that serves as a regional draw. Nampa is home to Northwest Nazarene University and the College of Western Idaho.
The roots of the Idaho Press-Tribune go back to December 1883 in Caldwell – with the first paper coming off the press just months after Caldwell was established as a city. Nampa city was established in 1885.
On April 12, 1928, the Caldwell Tribune and Caldwell News merged and became the Caldwell News-Tribune. In Nampa, the first newspaper, The Nampa Progress, was printed June 23, 1888. The Nampa Leader was first published on April 3, 1891. The Leader-Herald was a strong Republican paper, and that prompted the birth of the Idaho Free Press on April 9, 1919. That paper was more sympathetic to the Nonpartisan League, organized by farmers seeking political relief. Bernard Mainwaring bought the Idaho Free Press and the Leader-Herald newspapers in about 1946 and merged them, leaving the Idaho Free Press as the only paper. He was publisher and owner. The Scripps League bought the Idaho Free Press in 1954 and the Caldwell News Tribune in 1956. Subsequent transactions eventually resulted in the ownership of the two Canyon County newspapers by Pioneer Newspapers in 1975. In February of 1980, the two papers were merged, becoming the Idaho Press-Tribune and the first Sunday morning newspaper was delivered and the Saturday edition discontinued.
On Jan. 1, 1999, Idaho Press-Tribune announced plans to deliver an AM newspaper seven days a week. A multi-phase $6.7 million expansion project was completed in October 2005 at the Idaho Press-Tribune’s property on Midland Boulevard in Nampa. The project started in 2002 with the addition of a new press and inserting equipment after a 22,000-square-foot production facility was built. In January 2005 the conversion of the old pressroom and distribution center started, creating state-of-the-art offices for the news, circulation and information technology departments. The second part created new space for the advertising, marketing, business and administration departments.